RE: finding ip address of the connected sql session in database

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:08:51 -0600

Hey Edwin,

You don't say which version of Oracle or what platform, but the two methods that immediately come to mind are:

  1. Scan through the listener.log file, generally in $ORACLE_HOME/network/log
  2. Use the SYS_CONTEXT function (see the Oracle docs) in a logon trigger.

Method 1 should work for at least v7.x and up, but I forget when logon triggers were introduced -- 9i maybe?

Of course, I assume you're aware of networking concepts like DHCP that will affect the information gathered. I hope you're also aware how easy it is to fake Oracle into thinking that MS Access is really SQL*Plus or any other program, at least through the eyes of V$SESSION.

HTH! GL!   Rich

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of edwin devadanam Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:53 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; edwin_kodamala_at_yahoo.com Subject: finding ip address of the connected sql session in database

Hi,

Is there a way to find IP address of the connected sql sessions of the database.

Ex:
We are not going restrict IP address completely, we want restrict programs
running by user based on IP address.

ex: Users Accessing oracle from MSAccess should use only citrix not their
desktop or any other tools.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Edwin.k