Re: Oracle 24x7 shops and Patches-Upgrades.

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:19:17 -0500

Being realistic, there are very few applications that are carefully written these days and account for database specifics. The key development metric these days is time to market and not quality so very very few development shops will take time and implement rolling upgrades for its versions. Though, it might take a while and we can see it happening for SAP, Oracle Application and those alike. But this would be tremendous efforts and require the feature working really well. :) So it won't happen in 11[a..z] and probably even in 12 looking at the quality of latest releases. The good news is... more DBAs will be required. 8-D

On 12/21/06, Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com> wrote:
> Niall
>
> > For what it's worth I'm extremely sceptical about the usefulness of
> the
> > application schema versioning that Tom outlined as well :) I just
> can't
> > see any of the apps I've seen for the last 5 years or so being able to
> > actually take advantage of what was described.
>
> IMHO the point is that presently *no* application is able to take
> advantage from that feature. But in the future if you really need to
> upgrade an application while it is online, you may take advantage from
> editions, edition views and cross-edition triggers to do so.
>

> Regards,
> Chris

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev