How to reproduce an ORA-7445?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:51:07 -0600

Hey all,

In our migration of a new ERP system in 10.2.0.2.0 on AIX, a user hit an ORA-7445 (with no parameters!). I file an SR, upload the resulting trace file, troubleshooting happens, and it's determined we've hit a BUG due to issues with NLS translation of dates in binds. I'm then told that unless we can reproduce the problem, there will be no patch.

Setting aside my knee jerk of steam shooting out my ears, I started thinking about this situation. Applying the logic that it's only a bug if it can be reproduced, I believe the only way I can attempt to accomplish that is to trace every session, either at the client or the server, just in case it errors out in the future. And even then, that's hardly guaranteed, as the issue could depend on factors only existing at the time of the original error (e.g. SGA status, OS memory, etc).

So what's the point of filing an SR unless the problem is 100% reproducible? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just pragmatic.

TIA,
Rich

"It's a Christmas Miracle!" -- Jenny Meyer, Better Off Dead