Re: Session PGA memory max exceeded 2 GB and crashes.

From: Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_environment-agency.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:32:28 +0000

Nigel,

(Your private email to me has not arrived yet - this one from the list, has.)

>> you've somehow blown the call stack. double the SGA and it will just
blow a few milliseconds later...
Oh dear, so changing the kernel parameter won't help much then. Blowing the stack sounds like we have a recursion problem - possibly. Hmmmmmmm.

>> I bet that Norman's little proc is
>> - executing every row

That's what I'm trying to find out.

>> - doing a PkTrace.Enter on every row (in the entire table) and
stacking its context
Yes - possibly. It is certainly doing it once per call.

>> - maybe not doing a PkTrace.leave and so not popping the stack
(either through code error or
>> PL/SQL to SQL integration snafu)

No - the code is (a) performing an exit on sucessful exit, and the exception handlers are perfroming an error call which itself exits. Good call however.

>> - and so generally exploding.

It certainly does.

>> As I said privately to Norman
>> 1) pull the function call out of the SQL
>> 2) rewrite the SQL to be WHERE LAST_DATTIM < value
Right, I can do this as we have the source.

>> 3) have a look through Pk_Utils.fnc_get_sys_par to see where it's
lost its pop
Already done - it pops all its pushes!

>> 4) go home and start cooking the brussel sprouts (there's barely
time before Monday...)
They've been biling away nicely since April. We Scots like our veggies boiled to a mush - apparently.

Thanks.
Norman.

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk