Hugepages

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:53:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I am trying to configure Oracle 9.2.0.6 Standard Edition to use Huge Pages on Red Hat Enterprise Server 4. I'm trying to create 2Gb of huge pages...

/proc/meminfo says:

HugePages_Total: 1024
HugePages_Free: 1024
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

/etc/security/limits.conf says

oracle           soft    memlock         2097152
oracle           hard    memlock         2097152

The total SGA is just under 2Gb:

Total System Global Area 2048888976 bytes

But, as you see from /proc/meminfo, the huge pages remain free and are not allocated to the Oracle SGA.

Am I missing something obvious here? I've added the hugepage settings to sysctl.conf and rebooted but this has not changed any behavior.

Also, has anybody benchmarked this - we've got a mostly-read system and I'm wondering if this is worth implementing anyway!

Many thanks for any suggestions
Charlotte

Do You Yahoo!?