Happy Holidays Folks, Fellow DBAs .............OT

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:33:58 +0530

Cheers

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Paula Stankus Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:00 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Happy Holidays

I just wanted to send a quick note of thanks and say that I have appreciated this larger community of sages and experts to keep me motivated, learning and out of the fire as I have transitioned back from management and SQL Server into my first RDBMS, Oracle. I was able to make that transition back successfully under some difficult conditions and although I have been balancing that with family in an environment that is wholefully understaffed things are going very well.

There are times that this forum is the only objective, technical area where I can say "This is reasonable, right? This isn't rocket science, this is truly best-practices and not just something I am just being idealistic about, people are doing this in other places?" It is also a place where if I do not have the right idea I can expect to be corrected, sometimes with humour, often with patience, often with many different solutions and mostly in a professional way.

I just want to say thanks and best wishes to everyone and their families.

As I get some additional staff on my team and my children start getting older, I hope to be able to pay back in kind. I have mentored and am mentoring junior DBA's working with me, colleagues who are DBA's in other organizations citing the original source of the idea which generally is one of the Oak Table but is often somebody from this group. Sooner or later as my 10 and 7 year old get older, I will have lots of experience and more time. I plan to mentor much more, hoping to make a difference to people by using what I have learned over the years that is of any value. I will remember to be kind, patient and really think about what I am writing. I will show people the best sources rather then just giving them the answer or thinking I came up with the idea on my own. It is funny how often I freely do that now. Hey, don't believe me. Read this book from this author who by the way has X number of years of experience, was in this position working for Oracle, owns this company, yadayad. These guys are far better than me. Heck, don't listen to me at all but please, please read this book or that book or see this article or see this stream of e-mails and who is responding and what they are saying.:)....:):):)

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays.!! :):)