RE: db_file_multiblock_read_count causing full scans to takelonger?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:42:56 -0700

Understood - I just wanted to make sure you weren't making decisions just based on that small sample.

Interesting - I tested "time dd" on my HPUX 11 system and I see the same behavior you describe - it runs fastest at bs=255k and then takes twice as long as soon as I increase to bs=256k or higher. However on my AIX 5.3 system it seems to max out at about bs=32k and stays pretty consistent all the way to 4096k. Seems like some sort of HPUX limitation. I think the max io size on HPUX is 256k so it makes sense that there would be some difference at that point, but I would expect the difference to occur at 257k, not 256k - and I wouldn't expect it to be such a big difference. You'd think HPUX could split up the larger read requests into 255k chunks a little more efficiently than that. I'll check on a couple more AIX and HPUX systems and see if they exhibit the same behavior too.