RE: db_file_multiblock_read_count causing full scans to takelonger?

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:38:00 -0700

That was just an example from the two trace files. I wanted to show the difference in times retrieving the exact same blocks. The overall time was about 3 times longer so it was very consistent. I also ran the 16 before the 128 so it should have favored the 128. I bounced the database (needlessly, I'm sure) before each test. For some reason, with my systems on my SAN, when I get to 256k, performance degrades dramatically and not just with Oracle. The "time dd" tests are very consistent. Any block size up to 255k performs the same. Once you get to 256k and beyond, the time increases 3x to 4x.