Re: dbms_stats and analyze 10g Release 2

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:33:10 -0500

On 12/19/2006 09:23:54 AM, Christian Antognini wrote:

> > Yes, that's because Oracle doesn't want
> > to change the data dictionary.
>
> One thing not to forget is that the DD is based on clusters and that
> clusters cannot store LOBs. Therefore, even before thinking to change
> the DD they have to extend clusters to support LOBs.
>
> This is also the reason why *every* new Oracle version since the
> announcement of deprecation as introduced new LONGs!

So, to summarize, LONG columns are deprecated, but have capabilities not available to LOB columns, so Oracle is not only not retiring them, but is also introducing new deprecated LONG columns with each new version. Similarly, there is one article by Jonathan Lewis in which he demonstrates the versatility of now deprecated partition views. It was a real eye-opener. Unfortunately, I forgot the article name, but it is available on his page. It's a (what a surprise!) CBO article.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com