Re: Architecture Question

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:15:10 +0100

If you want to read from your secondary database, then Dataguard should use logical standby - and I wouldn't use it in a production environment in 9.2, it still has many teething problems (understand that it's very buggy). I haven't had the opportunity yet to give it another shot with 10R2. Advanced replication, today, means streams. Streams isn't totally painless, and works better, I think, with a continuous flow than with bursts that take some time to process (but you don't seem to want near real-time replication, do you? I guess that if in the worst case you have a couple of minutes delay it will be OK).

If I were you, I think that I'd try to convince whomever it may concern to use Oracle 10R2, and test thoroughly Dataguard in this environment, because your case just looks like a Dataguard case study. Short of that, I'd probably opt (after due testing) for streams, but it's somewhat of an overkill (you'll be using only a fraction of features).

HTH

Stéphane Faroult

On Mar Dec 19 5:19 , Bagavath sent:

hi all,
im new to architechture decision making.  we have to decide on a set up where we have to replicate data from the main application db to a secondary one for reporting. since this would be a real time application with a high transaction rate, we have decided to go for a secondary db for reporting and other needs.
We are looking at
Oracle Dataguard
Streams
Advanced Replication
This secondary would feed DW loads too..  Any suggestions please ? DB ver is 9.2.  Also we have a specific requirement where we have to replicate multiple sources to the same target DB.

thanks
Bagavath

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Dec 19 2006 - 03:15:10 CST