Question re single instance RAC node

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:19:37 -0800

Greetings,

I'm new to this list and am hoping there are some folks with RAC experience. We running 10gR2 and are going to be implementing ASO in order to use TDA to encrypt sensitive data. We have a second database which also contains data which must be encrypted and in an attempt to save licensing costs would like to put it on one of the nodes in the RAC cluster. This raises a number of questions in my mind which I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

First, does the single instance database have to be a RAC database? I have heard people making reference to a single node RAC instance and must admit it doesn't make complete sense to me.

Secondly, if we are using ASM for the RAC instances is there any problem with putting the database files for the non-RAC database on a file system?

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of setting up oracle like this. A single instance database on one node of a RAC cluster.

I appreciate any input folks might have.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center