Re: Auto start setup

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:02:17 +0100

Andrew,

  /etc/oratab (that actually should be, out of memory, /var/opt/oracle/oratab under Solaris) is just a file that is read by the dbstart script. dbstart in turn should be started by a (Bourne) shell script under /etc/rc.d, /etc/init.d or whatever (I am just battling against a Linux system right now :-)). It's a full chain of operations, and you must be careful that when the system boots the environment may not contain all the variables that you are used to.  Have you checked the installation guide that is specific to your system(s)? That's where the gory details are usually explained.

Stephane Faroult