Two DBLINK or not two DBLINK?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:39:35 -0600

Hey all,

I've finally succumbed to DBLINKs with the hope that it's the lesser of evils for our new ERP system. Since I won't have the time to test these out as much as I think they warrant, I'm trying to plan for the future. One of the things I'm considering is having two DBLINKs for each schema in the database -- one for updating, one for read-only queries. Both local and destination DBs are 10.2.0.2.0 and will be on the same server, FWIW. My kneejerk for separating out the links is that I think it will help in troubleshooting performance issues from the destination database by making the connection easy to identify as well as some security isolation, since each DBLINK would connect to a different schema in the destination DB. One downside I can forsee is that I would increase the DBLINK connections as any update would most likely also have read from the DB as well.

Thoughts? I'm just getting to the "play" stage now, but thought I'd ask in advance of testing to try and get as many of the "gotchas" out of the way as possible.

TIA!
Rich