Wallet file on host only during startup

From: GovindanK <gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:06:06 UT

Hi Has anyone tried keeping the wallet file out of the box once the database is started. I am not sure if the database expects the wallet file to be present in the appropriate location once the "alter system open wallet " command is issued. It should be keeping track of it somewhere in the controlfile. I confirmed one thing: prior to running every query it checks if the wallet has been open. I searched this forum for wallet in the archives and found mention about the disk being stolen. My search in Metalink and Oracle Forum has not shed any light on this topic. Another school of thought is to have a dbstart trigger calling a wrapped procedure which will check for ip/dbid combination so that even if the disk/tape is stolen , access to the encrypted columns won't be given. Since the code is wrapped, one may not be able to find out what the code is checking. Any inputs on this would be appreciated. Thanks GovindanK