Re: Splitting production and development/test at the DBA level?

From: Helen Mitchell <HelenJMitchell_at_Comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:18:51 -0700

I agree with Dennis. I handle both the Production and Development databases. Although a Production database may be properly configured, there are a list items that must be checked on both the Development and Production sides. The Development databases are always subject to the whims of and challenges resulting from Developers.

  Michael,

  Gee, I want to be on your production team. My experience is that test/dev databases consume a lot more time that properly configured production databases.

      How will you handle off-hour support rotation? If the test/dev people are on the rotation, then I would advocate not such a rigid split of the team.
      Another idea while you are evaluating this change, implement formal policies for promoting production changes. The changes must first be applied to a dev instance which is a recent clone of production. This is the ITIL model. This would argue for the production people to also have control of the dev instances since it doesn't make sense for one person to do the dev update and then have a separate person perform the production update.

  Dennis Williams