Re: dataguard

From: Veres Lajos <vlajos_at_ludens.elte.hu>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:55:19 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Sam Chakkanat wrote:

> Veres,

Thanks for your response.

> What is size of your application? How many tables? volume. Depending, Oracle Streams may also be an option.

Rman dump is about 3 G.
Exp dump~ 1.8 G.
We have 70-80 tables.
Most of selects uses a single (products) table. If we could spread the queries against that table that would be a big gain too.

> But DML redirect to master only may need some work, if application cannot support that. (or use specific service names for application? )

I think we can modify our application. This isnt a big issue.

> Your standby database can be logical/physical depending upon the application and the business need. And you could
> defer the apply at the standby to leverage the stand by server as a "read only".

There is any way to apply the logs continually and meantime read from the standby database?
Or this operations exclude the other?

> Hope this helps.
>
> Sam Chakkanat
>
> ---- Veres Lajos <vlajos_at_ludens.elte.hu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> (I never used dataguard before. Sorry for my lame questions.)
>>
>> Is it possible to syncronize nearly on-line and use the "backup" database
>> as a select-only node with loadbalancing?
>> Our system is 99% read-only. Dataguard seems to be good for
>> redundancy/failsafe, but it would be great if we could use the "backup"
>> machines CPU too.
>>
>> TNS can spreads SELECTs between the two nodes, and redirect DMLs to
>> only the master?
>> (Isnt a big problem if TNS cant, then the applications DB layer
>> should do it.)
>>
>> Other solution could be a Master->Slave replication, but I think it
>> wont be as solid.
>>
>> Exists any other Oracle solution for "cumulate computers power"?
>> I heard about RAC, but seems a bit expensive for us. (Shared storage)
>>
>> Any comment, experience, suggestion, (rtfm keyword) would be really
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Veres Lajos