dataguard

From: Veres Lajos <vlajos_at_ludens.elte.hu>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:06:52 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

(I never used dataguard before. Sorry for my lame questions.)

Is it possible to syncronize nearly on-line and use the "backup" database as a select-only node with loadbalancing? Our system is 99% read-only. Dataguard seems to be good for redundancy/failsafe, but it would be great if we could use the "backup" machines CPU too.

TNS can spreads SELECTs between the two nodes, and redirect DMLs to only the master?
(Isnt a big problem if TNS cant, then the applications DB layer
should do it.)

Other solution could be a Master->Slave replication, but I think it wont be as solid.

Exists any other Oracle solution for "cumulate computers power"? I heard about RAC, but seems a bit expensive for us. (Shared storage)

Any comment, experience, suggestion, (rtfm keyword) would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Veres Lajos
vlajos_at_ludens.elte.hu