RE: Poor performance with Histogram

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:28:11 -0700

What Oracle version?

You are right, I just tried it on 10.1.0.5 and 10.2.0.3. Serves me right. I was thinking of bug 3929552 and could have sworn I saw it as fixed in one of the patchsets, or I assumed that it is fixed in 9.2.0.6 and up as there is a patch available for 9.2.0.5. In any case, I didn't verify my assumption.

So you DO get silly histograms when using "size auto" or "size skewonly". I gave dbms_stats more credit than it deserves.

At 10:49 AM 12/12/2006, Christian Antognini wrote:

> > Note that you need to force the creation of the (silly) histogram
> > because "size skewonly" or "size auto" do not gather histograms for
> > unique columns.

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation