Re: Background information on Apps technology

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:52:33 +0000

On 12/6/06, Best, David <David.Best_at_cognos.com> wrote:

> There is a great book, I believe the authors are even on this list.. Its
> called: Oracle Applications DBA Field Guide by Elk Phelps and Paul
> Jackson. ISBN: 978-1-59059-644-9

I bought that book on recommendations from people here. I have to say I wasn't that impressed, if you already knew what you had to do, but not how to do it it would be great. If you weren't really sure what was what then I didn't think it so good.

there's a nice overview that John K from this list pointed me at at http://www.geocities.com/john_sharmila/links.htm "What is an Apps DBA anyway".
Then of course there *is* a concepts guide http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25516_11/current/acrobat/11iconcepts.pdf and
a somewhat extensive library that I'm ploughing my way through http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25516_11/current/html/docset.html. This is 11.5.10 and not all the docs exist for earlier versions.

I also got a great description of Apps as Outdated Application Server Technology talking to Outdated Database Technology - with a patching engine built in. You will spend a *lot* of time patching, determining patch levels and so on. It's not pleasant.

Steven Chan of the E-Business team runs a rather good blog with white papers, feature usage and so on at http://blogs.oracle.com/schan/ I highly recommend him and Richard Byrom at http://www.oracleappsblog.com/

I believe Juris of this list also has set up an apps dba mailing list, but I don't have the address.