Re: 9i DataGuard, RAC primary - secondary offline for network maintenance

From: Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:46:35 +0000

Paul Drake wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a 2 node 9i RAC primary (Win 2003), 9.2.0.6 mandated by the
>> application.
>>
>> Have a physical standby 9.2.0.7.
>>
>> All appears to be going well, teething problems over (touch wood).
>>
>> The primary is running in maximum performance mode.
>>
>> The secondary server is due to go down for about 24 hours for absolutely
>> vital electrical maintenance work.
>>
>> I believe that this will be OK, and that the secondary will catch up
>> when brought online again.
>>
>> Any think or know different? I'm trying to plan for any glitches now,
>> the primary database is a vital 24/7 system.
>>
>> I am aware of Note:259804.1 - particularly the section 'Real
>> Application Clusters and Data Guard Redo Apply During a Network
>> Outage'.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>> --
>>
>> Tony Sequeira
>>

> Tony,
>
> I would think about setting the standby log destination status to
> 'DEFER' during this time so that the primary isn't constantly
> attempting to reconnect to the standby.
>
> Paul

OSS came back saying essentially what you have said:

As the primary database is running in Maximum Performance mode , non-availability of the
Physical Standby database should have no effect on the functioning of the Primary Site.

As this is a planned outage , you might also want to set the log_archive_dest_state_x parameter
to defer for the Standby site. Also check if the log_archive_min_succeed_dest parameter can still be adhered to with the standby site being set to deferred.

Once the Physical Standby site is back up and running , archive log gaps would be automatically
resolved and the Physical Standby site would be back in sync with the Primary database.

Thanks all for the input.

Regards.

--
Tony Sequeira