RE: Metalink Bug Status Codes

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:38:42 -0600

That's fine. But when almost 10 months go by of production connection problems and being told "it's in Development" and then I get a request to duplicate the problem again after initially spending a month securing a single comprehensive test case, I have doubts as to whether my TAR/SR is being taken seriously. I'm glad I didn't wait for a response and spent a couple months implementing a workaround. I don't think it would serve anyone to go into the details here.

BTW, bug status code 16 appears to be missing from the list given in the first link...

Rich

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:46 AM To: ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Metalink Bug Status Codes

I don't have any problem with not knowing a timescale - but knowing what is going on is helpful. I don't want to be the equivalent of the manager who stands over you saying "how long until this is fixed?" whilst the DBA/Developer is thinking "WTF it shouldn't be doing that, what on earth is going on and won't the manager go away so i can google it without looking stupid". I *do* want to be kept informed about actions and plans. It's the way I manage my staff and it's the way I manage my support relationships. Bugs happen, in Oracle's code, in our code and for that matter in real life, it's how they get reported on and ultimately fixed that matters to me.

On 12/6/06, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net > wrote:

        I had to get a patch written about 2.5 years ago. Oracle support told me that the numbers have nothing to do with how close they are to finishing the work and refused to give me any status whatsoever until it was done. It took a month. This was for a semi-production system. Part of our system did not work for a month due to an oracle bug.

> > does anyone know of a guide to Oracle's bug status
codes?

> > we have an open bug which has changed status a
number of times - that is

> > all
> > we get to see. It would be *nice* to understand what
stat 11 (or 30 or 1

> > or
> > whatever) actually means.
>
> SR Bug Codes:
>
> Searching the Bug Database
> http://tinyurl.com/vxdqz
>

> SR Status Codes:
>
> Note:166650.1
> Working Effectively With Global Customer Support
> http://tinyurl.com/y46lvp
>

> Regards
> Dimitre

Niall Litchfield