RE: 9i DataGuard, RAC primary - secondary offline for networkmaintenance

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:35:54 +0100

Ric,

I agree that the redo stream is likely not to cause any problems. Generally spoken applying redo of a previous version (restoring/recovering just after an upgrade) is not a problem at all. However, what if you run a database Read/Write (as primary) and the code-stack (ORACLE_HOME) is patchlevel x, but the database is patchlevel x-1? The Oracle code resides for a great deal in the dictionary. Just patching Oracle home is not enough. The database will not start up correctly with all combinations of x and x-1, as you will experience when you:

  1. install Oracle software with installer and including 'creation' of a predefined database
  2. install the patches to move to the latest version
  3. startup the instance using this just 'created' database

The database is not created, but restored from a clone that comes with the installation CD.
I forgot the exact error, and have no time to find out right now, but the database needs a startup migrate and running catpatch before it is usable. Was the 9.2.0.6 -> 9.2.0.7 upgrade an ORCALE_HOME upgrade only, i.e. an empty or no catpatch.sql at all? I've no 9.2.0.7 at hand, and need to drive off now.
Bottomline:
Unless the combination of codestack x and database x-1 has been tested very carefully (and I THINK this cannot be tested completely) I wouldn't jeopardize my VITAL database with such a setup.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===