flashback database: any instrumentation/parallelism?

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:37:21 -0800

In 10.2.0.1 is there any way to monitor the progress of 'flashback database'? From what I can see, the session just waits on 'control file sequential read' counting up to ~40 seconds in wait then starts back at zero. There is nothing in v$session_longops.

Meanwhile in strace I see the server process doing lots of work, including many reads against the flashback logs and datafiles.

Also doesn't this thing work in parallel? The process can certainly take a long time. You can barely utilize the available I/O and CPU on a typical host with just one server process performing the flashback.

How can it be that there is no real way to see how much is done/remaining or how it is performing?

Is this just a really immature feature?

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net