Re: rman incremental merge

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:11:34 -0600

The usage that I've seen and used is to start with a level 0, and from there on out you'd only take level 1 incrementals. Then, based on your recovery window, you could roll your base backup image forward, for example to 7 days ago, if that is your window. It saves you the time of not having to do another level 0, but having a recent level 0 image to start with for recovery.

The reason I stopped using it is that you HAVE to do a backup COPY. I didn't have the disk to hold an actual copy, and needed to have compression.

Don.