Re: Oracle 9i on Windows 2003 -- Vulnerability Question

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:50:31 +0000

On 11/30/06, Panosian, Estifan <EPanosian_at_edc.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make our database more secure, one of the scenarios we
> came up is:
> 'what if an internal hacker (somehow) gets to our database server?'
> 1) what kind of damages he/she could cause, and
> 2) what we need to do to protect our databases?
> 3) Could hacker be able to browse data?
>
> Any article in this regard?
>
> OS is Windows 2003, Oracle is 9.2.0.7.
> The hacker has admin rights on the server.

If you mean physically or remotely (for example using some desktop remoting software such as vnc|remote desktop|citrix) then it will - in almost all circumstances - be trivial to carry out any malicious action that you can think of. The physical analogy would be if a burglar can enter you house and has access to your keys/safe codes etc what damage could they do?

cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA