RE: Recovery from loss of both control files & redo log files

From: Best, David <David.Best_at_cognos.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:48:03 -0500

If your on unix you can strings your old controlfile (assuming you have one) and obtain the datafile locations which will help when building the create controlfile syntax.

strings cntrl01.dbf | grep dbf

/oradata/dbf/log02a.dbf
/oradata/dbf/log02b.dbf
/oradata/dbf/log01a.dbf

Also, if there is information in the redo logs that is needed to complete recovery you can try using the _allow_resetlogs_corruption init.ora parameter. This parameter tells oracle to skip some(all?) internal consistency checks. I can't seem to find the metalink note right now but I believe after you use this parameter your supposed to export/import to create a new database. Of course, you should only use this on the recommendation of Oracle support. ;)

Tnx.