Re: Calculating Physical memory for Oracle Sessions

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:17:53 -0800

On 11/29/06, Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> There are lots of good AIX goodies for processes :)
>
> From AIX 5.3, procmon is a great to use that gives you a more detailed and
> elaborate "pmap" like service.
>
> procmon is a GUI tool (but surprising useful unlike many others).

Are they accurate?

It has the following options to perform detailed process analysis,

> procfiles
> ..
>
> Of course, pmap is much easier to use as it is a single command-line tool.

Here's why I asked about the AIX memory tools.

pmap is notoriously inaccurate. Memory accounting tools in Linux don't work too well. Try adding up all the memory reported by ps -fywluoracle | awk '{ mem=mem+$8 } END{ mem=mem*1024; print "bytes: ", mem}'
on a linux box, and it will be quite a bit more than actual do to double or triple counting of memory against RSS.

The same situation may exist on AIX, as it is my understanding that many unix's suffer from this malady.

--
Jared Still