RE: Multiple Listener

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:21:05 -0700

Separate listeners by Oracle version won't save your a&& if you take one done. If your business needs five 9 SLAs then I might have a separate home just for the listener, actually probably two and run two listeners - of the same highest version - for all databases of all versions to avoid a SPOF.

At 09:31 AM 11/29/2006, Sam Chakkanat wrote:
>You will come across having single listener with multiple Oracle Home when
>business needs "Four" or "Five"
>nine SLA's. In those case you're a&& will be on fire if you took down a
>listener and 1000's of transactions clogged
>on your other system.
>
>Evaluated case by case, we cannot completely rule out an Oracle Home
>maintenance and that's
>the general "Best Practice" from Oracle. With RAC of course, you could have
>a rolling upgrade, patch maintenance schedule.
>I don't know about the business case here. And absolutely, you could always
>have a single listener for all Oracle Homes, based on business.
>My comment was based on larger clients and general best practices.
>
>About processing and memory - What do you give weigh? Your customers or 10
>MB of memory?

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation