Re: Strange buffer resizing in 10gR2

From: Rick Weiss <RWeiss_at_safmt.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:19:22 -0700

If you have the Java OEM client, you can navigate to the: DBNAME
 Instance
   Configuration
 On the "General" tab, it shows the started with SPFILE: /dir/spfilename.ora
information for you

I am using the 10gR2 OEM Client right now - it does some things more efficiently than the browser based OEM DBCONTROL does.

Rick Weiss
Oracle Database Administrator

Student Assistance Foundation
P.O.Box 203101
2500 Broadway
Helena, MT 59620-3101

rweiss_at_safmt.org
(406) 495-7356

>>> "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com> 11/28/2006 1:59 PM >>>

So, here I am sitting in a developer's class for our new ERP package, and I decided to monitor the 10.2.0.2.0 DB on AIX 5.3 that all the dev's
individual JBoss servers are hammering. The first thing I noticed is that the buffer cache appears to be a whopping 16MB. Hmmm...I could have sworn that I set that higher. And I did.

The init.ora shows db_cache_size to be "50MB" and log_buffer to be "524288". sga_target is unset and is "0" according to V$PARAMETER. The
init.ora file is dated November 5th, and V$INSTANCE shows that it's been
up and running since the 9th. There is no spfile (on purpose). Attempts to increase db_cache_size fail, like one would expect with the
default sga_max_size.

Confucious. There's some things in this database that are out of my control (despite my protests), but I don't see how this scenario could happen from within the DB. The only thing I can think of is that the instance was started with an SPFILE and that file has since been deleted, but I'm not sure how to prove this.

Thoughts?

Rich