Re: Range of values for buffer_gets in stats$sql_summary

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:10:19 -0800

Vijay,

-ive values are generally due to wrap-around. Since STATSPACK data is just snapshots of V$ views, which in turn are cumulative, you will see this issue when your database has been up for a long time and the counter wraps around. In the case of STATS$SQL_SUMMARY, the BUFFER_GETS is derived from V$SQL.BUFFER_GETS. Negative values in buffer_gets may be seen in SQL that results in a lot of buffer gets *AND* is 'kept alive' in the lib cache via constant executions and pins. (I have one particular SQL that has this "issue" on an Oracle Apps 11i instance)

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

Disappointment is always inevitable; Discouragement is invariably optional

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **