SYS.OBJ$ contention

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:29:27 -0600

Hello all:

I am trying to figure out some performance issues with reports running against oracle 9DB. Several reports seem to be running in about 50 min at one point and timing out at another point. Each of these reports is creating a number of
temporary tables along the way to store data to be used at a later stage of the report. I see a number of sessions
holding a lock (mode=3) against the sys.obj$ table. I was thinking that this can create a contention related to the sys.obj$ table. If that's correct, what would be a good way to reduce this contention? Would increasing freelists parameter help? Anything else?

thank you

Gene Gurevich