Re: Trace file name ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:51:29 +0000

Good question and worth an enhancement request IMO.

IF you are tracing a dedicated session AND have alter session privilege then you can issue ALTER SESSION SET TRACEFILE_IDENTIFIER=<some string> and the tracefile name will end with that string. Of course the point of DBMS_MONITOR is that a) you don't need to be tracing a dedicated session (and hence os pid) and b) you don't require ALTER SESSION so it would seem to me eminently sensible to request an enhancement of the DBMS_MONITOR package to allow the passing of a tracefile identifier (defaulting to the empty string).

In the mean time take a look at the functionality of the trcsess command line utility which likely gives you another route to what you want if that is identifying the session(s) you just traced.

cheers

On 11/23/06, George <george_at_mighty.co.za> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> how do you get the file name of the trace file being produced when you
> enabled tracing via dbms_monitor.
>
> don't see a function in dbms_monitor.

> George
>
> george_at_mighty.co.za
>
> You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
> Person
> You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
> Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
> Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!

> For super low premiums, click here http://www.webmail.co.za/dd.pwm

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info