RE: enqueue waits for an INSERT statement

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:17:04 -0500

Stop!

Don't bother with INITRANS/MAXTRANS. An INSERT statement will NOT wait on ITL. It will just go to another block on the freelist. If you have ITL shortage on one of the indexes on the table, that will cause an index block split, but again, will NOT wait on ITL.

First, determine what type of enqueue is being waited on, and in what mode. Steve Adams has an excellent script for this, shows blockers and waiters.
See:
http://www.ixora.com.au/scripts/sql/enqueue_locks.sql

Once you know the enqueue type (in this case, it's almost certainly TX) and what mode is being waited on (in this case, probably 'S' mode), you can determine the true root cause.

Likely cause of enqueue waits on INSERT are:

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak

Senior Oracle Architect

ProQuest Information & Learning

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which shouldn't be
done at all.  -Peter F. Drucker, 1909-2005