RE: Advice for dblinks between two prod DBs.

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:48:31 +0800

No, even in 9i, you cannot create Database Links in another schema as the " <schemaname>." actually becomes part of the Link name in the creator's schema --- as you have noticed.

What I do is {as I do not have the other schema's password -- I am not supposed to have it } is to use EXECUTE IMMEDIATE

grant create database link to scott;
create or replace procedure scott.tmpcrtdblink22nov06 as
begin
execute immediate 'create database link remote_db connect to remote_user identified by remote_password using ''tns_connect_string'' ' ; end;
/

execute scott.tmpcrtdblink22nov06;
drop procedure scott.tmpcrtdblink22nov06; revoke create database link from scott;

select db_link, username, host from dba_db_links where owner = 'SCOTT';

The remote_user is NOT the owner of the base tables in the remote_db but another "shadow" account with SELECT only privileges on the base tables.

Similarly, if other users locally need to access the remote database , they have their own dblinks --- particularly so when SCOTT and TOM are accessing different tables and/or with different privileges in remote_db (thus, using different "shadow" accounts in the remote_db as well).

Since I really don't have database accounts for end-users but only accounts for applications / application schemas, dblinks are required only between applications and so it becomes easy to come up with meaningful names for the "shadow" account {use a name which represents which application in which database will use this account} and the dblink name {use a name which represents which database and which application/schema/shadow the dblink connects to}.

GLOBAL_NAMES, I leave as FALSE. TRUE causes problems whenever I clone databases and forget to change the DBNAME/GLOBAL_NAME etc. We really don't need it -- it is only mandatory for Advanced Replication with Multi Master implementations {because it the database name / link name becomes part of the global_trans_id and so has to be unique}.

Hemant

At 10:16 PM Wednesday, Jesse, Rich wrote:
>While testing, I think I've hit my first hurdle. As of 9i, a DBA can
> Is there any way to do this without granting CREATE
>DATABASE LINK to the owner?
>I'm also struggling with GLOBAL_NAMES true/false. ....

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital