Re: Physical Database Design - Code Tables

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:31:09 -0800

On 11/21/06, Paula Stankus <paulastankus_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know that for developers having the generic, one-size-fits-all codetable
> is easier for them to code.

Uh-huh. They don't have to remember all those pesky code table names.

They just need to remeber the values of the identifier columns: AddressType, CustomerType, ...

Wow! That's more work than we thought!

Maybe we could get the DBA to create some views...

  However, I am very worried that having one generic codetable for all
> applications, all tables and all code fields could cause serious contention.

Will the code table be updated frequently?

If so , then you may want to reduce the number of rows per block via 'alter table TABLE minimize_records_per_block' or a high pctfree.

HTH

--
Jared Still