Re: oracle timesten

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:24:39 +0100

Andrey,

oh, interesting - looks like some kind of read lock, possibly a shared read lock:

readers don't block readers
readers block writers
writers block readers
writers block writers (of course!) ...

am I correct ?

So back to your test:
a) create table with single column (for example) without indexes and

    fill it with 2 rows with different values b) in session#1 update the first (yep, i know about order by :o)

    inserted row, do not commit
c) try to update the second row in session#2 - session is blocked

if session#1 needs to read the second row in(b), it locks it, thus preventing session#2 from updating.

With an index - it may follow the index and jump directly to the first row, avoiding the read on the second row - thus not "locking" it.

--
Just an idea - I have an interest in TT but I haven't found the time
to investigate it (yet) - surely some results about the locking model

-- Alberto Dell'Era "Per aspera ad astra" -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l