Re: How to calculate the shared pool size when increasing the processes parameter

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:08:49 +0530

Hi,

V$SGASTAT could be your friend.

select * from v$sgastat where name = 'processes' ;

V$SGASTAT also contains details regarding other parts of the SGA. In 10g, there is more detail in this view compared to Oracle 9i R2.

curiously, in a 9.2 database, for a value of 500 for processes, the amount of memory used is around 628K.

SQL> select * from v$sgastat where name = 'processes' ;

POOL           NAME                            BYTES
-------------- -------------------------- ----------
shared pool    processes                      644000

In 10.2.0.1.0 for a processes value of 300,

POOL         NAME                            BYTES
shared pool  processes                        2400

It only uses 2400 bytes.

Not sure why there is so much memory used up in 9.2.

check it before and after you change the processes value. also, V$RESOURCE_LIMIT can be useful.

regards
anand