Re: Disk/Partitions under ASM DiskGroup

From: Nathan Dietsch <njd_at_ndietsch.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:35:37 +1100

Hello Shiva,

> I have like this. Do you know what does this 8 represent?
The device driver (see below).
> And what do the
> first and second parameter represent? Any pointers? And one more thing
> if I
> can ask, how can determine if it is a partition or a disk itself? 9At
> least
> in this case, all of them are partitions).
The first entry listed (sda) is the device, the subsequent entries (sda1-15) are the partitions on the device.

> [root_at_lin1 dev]# ls -ltr | grep sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Nov 17 12:35 sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Nov 17 12:35 sda1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Nov 17 12:35 sda2
<SNIP>

The 8 is a major number and the numbers afterwards are called minor numbers. The major number represents the device driver (in this case SCSI), the minor number represents the instance (you can have many instances).

You might find this link helpful;

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dsichelp/ds8000ic/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.storage.ssic.help.doc/f2c_linuxdevnaming_2hsag8.html

<SNIP>
>> I am not sure how to tell if it is partitioned via fdisk or not.
>>
>> Randy

You can tell that by the numbers on the end of the device (sda1 is the first partition, sda2 is the second and so on).

Kind Regards,

Nathan Dietsch