RE: Unwrapping a package

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:28:09 -0600

This was just discussed here back at the beginning of the month (the archives at http://freelists.org are a great resource). Anyway, up to 9i, wrapping was an obfuscation. If you look at a wrapped package, you can easily decipher the plain text variables and other goodies, but not the code. In 10g, wrapping is supposedly encrypted, which makes it significantly more difficult to reverse. Well, provided the method of encryption can not be as easily brute forced as user$.password is.

From my observation, it appears that packages wrapped in 9i can execute in 10g, which *I'm guessing* <insert disclaimer here> could mean they're as suseptible to unwrapping as in a 9i DB, but I haven't had the time nor need to attempt it (yet!). I'm also guessing that a 10g wrapped package would not compile/execute in 9i. Ooh, to have a few days to play...

Rich