Is Oracle for Solaris x86 ready for prime time?

From: Jim Newman <jim.newman_at_iovation.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:13:04 -0800

We are looking into switching from Sparc Solaris to Solaris x86 due to the allure of "cheaper faster" hardware. I'm a little concerned about running our mission critical databases on Solaris x86. Oracle's offering for this platform went away entirely for 9i, and I heard the issue was that there were just too many different chips to support. It's back, but I wonder if it's really a safe bet. We'll be running 10g R2 with most of the goodies, Streams, Data Guard, partitioning, and possibly RAC. Anyone running Oracle Solaris x86 that can relieve (or confirm) my fears?

Thanks!

Jim Newman

The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.

io.gif