RE: Hot backup directly on tape?

From: Peter McLarty <Peter_McLarty_at_technologyonecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:01:36 +1000

Hi Allessandro
There is nothing wrong with backing up directly to tape like you are doing as long as you understand your tape management and can recover all the datafiles for a tablespace when you need them I am guessing your backup script does something like
Login to the database
Checkpoint the database
Take the tablespace offline and place it into backup mode Then backup each datafile to tape (standard VMS tools ) Take the tablespace out of backup mode and put the tablespace back on line
Complete steps again for each tablespace. If this is so then the procedure is generally sound but I would say you really need to test your recovery abilities by restoring to a different location or server to determine that you can restore, because when it breaks and you cant restore then I hope your resume is up to date.

I would also be pressuring your management to spend some money on the VMS server or alternatively planning your migration off to some other platform. You need more space and you could always be using an NFS mount to right your backups to albeit it may be slow depending on other circumstances. Mind you I would rather have slow and recoverable over fast and finding a new job because I cant restore my database.

Cheers

Peter