Datafile size - Is bigger better?

From: JayDBA <jaykash_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:57:09 -0600

Can I trigger a discussion on the pros and cons of datafile max-size. I am in a shop where the datafile size is limited to 2gb on a 64-bit platform (Raided) and I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of having a larger file limit.

Pros:
1. Quicker recovery
2. Easy to load balance

Cons:

1. How often do we have to recover?
2. Is load balancing on the database level really an option for raided systems
3. On locally managed files, we loose header space equal to the extent size. E.g. on a datafile with uniform extent sizing of 128M a 2gb file would waste 6% space / file. This number can run into gigabytes on systems with 100's of 1000's of files
4. CKPT having to work more since it has to update many more smaller files.

Regards