Re: Oracle standby (data guard)

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:39:53 -0800

I liked "Oracle Database 10g High Availability with RAC, Flashback & Data Guard" by Matthew Hart and Scott Jesse, Oracle Press, 2004. Of course, I needed the docs as well and there are things that you just don't learn until you dive in and discover the gotchas. For example, 10.1.0.3 was not a good release for Logical Standby (per Oracle Support), but is that documented anywhere? No. We're now on 10.1.0.5 and are finding that logical standby does work better with that patchset. Most non-FM books explain how software is expected to work but, as I'm sure you know, you are bound to discover exceptions, bugs, undocumented features, etc. as you actually start using the software.

Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA