Re: Dream tools poll

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:41:47 -0600

Brian,

I'm hoping management is baiting you. You are overworked, overwhelmed and are asking management for more staff. Management thinks they can send you off on a different direction. They dangle the prospect of unlimited tools in front of you to see if you will grab that bait instead. Don't weaken. Stand strong.

My experience is that managers often think that vendor tools save DBAs a lot of effort, so they can hire fewer DBAs. Or maybe hire dumber (cheaper) DBAs. The vendors feed that impression by providing impressive demonstrations featuring lots of graphics. The effect of graphics on the management mind is well documented. But my experience with a lot of these tools is that I seem to put a lot more effort in the tool than I get back. Here are some of the "hidden' costs:

Then the big one for me. It is an emergency and I don't have access to the PC with the fancy tool installed. Do I want to drive across town to get to that PC? Or what if my PC with all the fancy tools crashes and now I can't use those tools?

Now, having said that, I can think of a situation where tools are useful. If someone is a novice and no aspirations to become an expert, then sometimes the tool is useful. For example, the SQL Server DBA needs to be your backup but has no concept of operating an applicaiton that doesn't respond to mouse clicks. It might be easier to train that person on a GUI tool and leave it at well enough.

Okay, that is my cranky opinion. I'll be glad to listen if someone has had a better experience with a specific tool.

Dennis Williams