Re: Oracle backups using Snapshot Technology

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:25:52 -0700

FlashCopy on an IBM ESS ("Shark") starts at somewhere around $50,000 for a very modestly configured array. The cost increases as you add more disks, and maybe even as you add cache!

A former client -- a University -- had been given a free used ESS, which they had hoped to use as spare parts to upgrade their existing one. They were very disappointed to learn that the increased license fees for FlashCopy made it prohibitively expensive to add the "spare" disks to their existing Shark. To my knowledge, those disks (and the cache) are still sitting around gathering dust.

FlashCopy for FasT / DS4400 is likely to be less expensive, but you'll probably have to call an IBM sales rep to find out how much less... I very much doubt that it is "free".

On 11/9/06, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> And if performance would be an issue that split mirror technique is
> the way to go.
> Btw, do you know if there are any additional licensing associated with
> FAStT's snapshots feature?
> Thanks.

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead