Re: Tried "rsync" for Database (Hot/Cold/Snapshot), Binaries, ArchiveLogs

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:38:49 -0700

I have seen it used. Successfully too.

I'm not terribly "keen" on it, but it should be perfectly safe so long as both databases are offline. In theory, it should be okay too if the source database is online, as long as all tablespaces are in backup mode, and you follow up with media recovery (apply archive logs) after you are done. While I can think of no reason that the latter would not work, it does make me nervous for some reason...

On 11/9/06, Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> Has "rsync" been tried as a backup/copy mechanism for
> Database (Hot/Cold/Snapshot) files , Binaries, ArchiveLogs ?
> Can it be used for Datafiles. I am 99.9% confident that it cannot.
>

> Hemant K Chitale
> http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead