Should I be worried about "ASM Background Timer" wait?

From: Grant Allen <gxallen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 02:24:39 +1100

A new consultant on site (and I) are curious about the "ASM Background Timer" wait, as it's being reported in the top 5 waits. I'm more interested in confirming if this is just an idle event used by ASM to indicate that it has nothing to do. The system (10gR2, Solaris 64-bit, EMC SAN, db of about 40GB) is running relatively well, but we're curious nonetheless.

Nothing comes back from [technet | www | tahiti | docs].oracle.com, nor much from Google (just a few appendix listings classing it as an idle event). Anyone have any background on it?

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)