issues with oracle partitioning and SAN striping

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:00:33 +0000

Someone on our team raised concerns about using both oracle table level partitioning and SAN striping. As I have said before I am more on the developer side of things. Has anyone had problems with this?

"SAN striping of data file and Oracle partitions) techniques we are using will sure collide with each other creating worse performance than using either one of the two. Since SAN is not aware of how oracle is handling the partitions, data from two hash or range partitions can end up on the same spindle thereby making it serial I/O."