RE: "egenera" 10gRAC ? Anyone ?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 22:07:00 -0500

We've got extensive experience with 10gR2 + egenera. Short story: RAC works equally well with egenera as normal hardware. Long story: since the egenera boxes look just like normal servers, there's no advantage either way. Egenera talks a good game about their software helping with RAC, but I've never seen a customer leverage their provisioning or anything like that to help make RAC easier to deploy (in fact, we've had a number of companies come to us to do RAC provisioning on egenera). I have heard people complain that the egenera interconnect is unstable under very high IO loads, but have not seen it myself. My .02 on the matter: Egenera is very expensive compared with what you can get by assembling your own hardware. The commoditization of high-speed compute connects using InfiniBand means that the last argument for Egenera - that you can dynamically create IO connections with high throughput - has gone away. Just go buy your hardware vendor of choice and get Topspin IB from Cisco with their IO allocation technology.

Matt