Re: DG questions

From: Bob <orcl_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:27:18 -0500

Alessandro Vercelli wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>I've configured a couple of primary/standby (physical) databases on two separated hosts, 10.1.0.5, RHEL ES3.
>
>I've read DG Concepts and Administration manual, but I'm a little confused about some parameters:
>
>Q1. DB_UNIQUE_NAME: is it mandatory to have them different when DG is on separated hosts?

Absolutely- they must be , db_unique_name is the way the 2 (more if you have additional standbys) instances communicate with *each other*

>Q2. INSTANCE_NAME: the same as Q1 + can be omitted?

Absolutely - you dont need it at all. this is just another parameter that gets in the way. Forget about instance_name

bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify